Friday, March 28, 2008

The Morning Edition Cafe

The Morning Edition Cafe is located in the Patterson Park Area of Baltimore, a few blocks from John's Hopkins Hospital. They are only open for breakfast on Fridays, Saturday and Sundays, which makes it ideal for brunch on the weekend.

I arrived before JA (as per usual) and the staff was totally cool with me hanging out at a table with my cup of coffee until she arrived, which due to my terminal earliness, and JA's terminal lateness, was quite a bit of time. Not all places are okay with this- I've run into a couple places who want to seat the whole party together- which is understandable. However, the places that are okay with me chilling with a cup of coffee and the paper while I wait definitely engender my goodwill.

The decor is what I'd call "kitschy country", and the chairs and tables are a mismatched jumble, which is cute (I sat on what looked like a church pew). The staff was friendly and accommodating, and kept the coffee refilled without us asking. The complimentary banana bread came to the table warm, and was delicious.

The Morning Edition Cafe is known for it's Eggs Benedict, which looked enticing, but I wasn't in the mood for eggs (or the warning on the menu that there may be a substantial wait for them) , They have a huge, comprehensive menu, that is handwritten, with lots of different options, from sweet to savory. We both decided on the Biscuits and Gravy, me with a side of pork sausage, JA with turkey sausage. Our meals came with home fries, and fresh fruit, and a whimsical detail- each plate came with a tootsie pop for later. I thought the biscuits and gravy were good- they strayed from the typical recipe with the inclusion of a noticeable amount of herbs, mostly sage, in the gravy, which was a good move- it made it stand out from previous gravies I've had. The biscuit was soft and delicious, a good match for the hearty gravy. Home fries were standard, tasty, and relatively unremarkable. The meal was pretty great overall, and definitely someplace I would return- their list of mimosas alone are an enticing reason to come back.

Cost $$
4 Stars

153 N Patterson Park Ave Baltimore, MD 21231(410) 732-5133

2 comments:

Meda Woman said...

How many stars?

Meda Woman said...

Cute blog, by the way! Very cool idea.